Picking the right moving company in an industry known for unethical practices is crucial to a smooth move.
The first step to avoiding a scam is to know how to recognize one. There are several scams that you and other homeowners should be aware of. Disreputable moving companies will tack on additional fees after giving an initial estimate, making the move much more expensive than anticipated. Another tactic is to change the price at the very last minute.
In addition to unfair pricing, deceitful companies can be irresponsible with furniture and other possessions, oftentimes resulting in a late delivery or no delivery at all.
Here are some tips to help you and other homeowners avoid common mover scams and issues:
- Always get an on-site estimate to avoid getting charged more than expected.
- Be sure to confirm the moving company’s address, either by searching online or physically going to the location. A reputable mover will have a real address.
- Find a reliable moving company by asking friends, family and neighbors who have moved before and had successful moves. We can also provide you with reliable recommendations.
- Get estimates from three different companies to get a ballpark idea of a reasonable rate. If one company provides a substantially different quote, they could be disreputable.
- Pick a moving company that gives an estimate based on weight rather than cubic feet to avoid getting charged far more than expected.
- When looking at a moving company’s website, check the feedback from clients. If there is an excess of negative comments, choose a different company.
Having these tips in mind when you are selecting a moving company, will keep your move affordable, successful, and headache-free.