Step 2 – Communicate with Family and Friends
The Family Meeting
As you begin to contemplate a move, a family meeting can be a great way to involve adult children, grandchildren, and family friends in the process. Bringing key people in your life together to discuss your plans can be one way to help everyone deal with the emotional challenges involved in a move from a long established home.
Why have a family meeting?
Bringing family members and close friends together to help plan for a move is a useful strategy. The benefits of a family meeting include:
- Informing key people about your relocation plans
- Generating ideas and sharing emotions
- Bolstering support during the move for a caregiver or someone with an illness
- Inviting participation in moving tasks
- Reminiscing about memories from the home or the items to be liquidated
- Distribution of household items and family heirlooms
- Completion of necessary legal documentation (power of attorney, signatures on deed, etc,)
Agenda items to include in a family meeting:
In our “Downsizing made easy” guide you will find an agenda with items such as:
- Plans related to an upcoming move (when and where)
- Feelings about the move—both yours and those of family members
- Participation of family members during the downsizing process
- Liquidation of family heirlooms and sentimental items
Also in our guide, we have suggestions for families who may be scattered around the country; for families that don’t get along well enough to have a productive and amicable family meeting.; and for those who prefer foregoing a family meeting, or who feel they would prefer conveying their decisions in writing. We also include a Sample Letter to Family in our guide as another way for you to communicate your wishes with family members and/or close friends.
Request your complimentary “Downsizing made easy” guide today.
• includes worksheets, checklists, letter and more.
Team Junell is authorized by the Seniors Real Estate Institute to utilize, promote, and distribute the Downsizing Made Easy Guide as a licensee of the Downsizing Made Easy Presentation System. All materials are copyrighted by the Seniors Real Estate Institute and Nikki Buckelew, author.